It’s not Hanukkah without latkes, this year we’ll be enjoying the Thanksgiving + Hanukkah carb overload!
I prefer mine with Sour Cream, the husbandguy is an applesauce fan.
- 6 large potatoes, grated (the starchier the potato the better the latke, I like Yukon Gold)
- 1 medium onion, grated
- 2 eggs, beaten lightly
- 2½ T. flour
- 2 t. salt
- ½ t. pepper (or to taste)
- Oil for frying (peanut, canola or olive, whichever you prefer)
- Drain the potatoes after grating them, wringing them out in cheesecloth if you have it, if not press them between paper towels, extracting as much moisture as possible.
- In a medium bowl stir the potatoes, onion, eggs, flour and salt together.
- In a large heavy-bottomed skillet (or wok) over medium-high heat, heat the oil until hot. Place large spoonfuls of the potato mixture into the hot oil, pressing down on them to form ¼ to ½ inch thick patties. Brown on one side, turn and brown on the other. Let drain on paper towels. Serve hot!