I made challah the other day for dinner and after eating as much challah as we could we realized there was no way we were going to eat it all before the challah got stale. Once it started to dry out I improvised quickly and a super tasty breakfast was born. Challah French Toast!
Challah French Toast
Author: Chef Kelli
Recipe type: Breakfast / Brunch
- ½ to full loaf challah, sliced in 1-1½ inches thick and slightly stale
- 2 eggs
- ⅔ cup milk
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg (optional)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla (optional)
- Beat together eggs and milk (and any spices)
- Heat lightly oiled (I prefer butter or margarine) skillet over medium-high heat
- Soak slices of challah in the egg mixture, make sure you coat both sides, let it absorb as much as it can (but remove before it starts to crumble)
- Place on skillet and cook until both sides golden
- Serve hot with favorite topping!